From Daybreak to Evening

    Greetings! I hope all of you had a lovely Easter last weekend. As difficult as it is to transition from such a momentous and wonderful thing as Christ’s resurrection to, well—to anything, I decided that now is as good a time as any to share a poem I scrambled together in the last week. 

    For context, I was reading a short story of Tolkien’s, entitled Smith of Wootton Major. It tells the tale of a young blacksmith’s son who swallows a star from the land of Faery in a piece of Feast-cake. He was always a quiet lad, but he becomes merrier, brighter, and goes on long journeys here and there. Eventually he finds Faery-land, but must give up his star (which sits proudly on his forehead) to the king. It’s a beautiful yet bittersweet story, and I highly suggest reading it if you haven’t yet. 

    And now, without further ado, here’s the poem. 

  

From Daybreak to Evening


“You must have walked far.”

“Yes indeed; all the way from Daybreak to Evening.”

J.R.R. Tolkien, Smith of Wootton Major


When I was young I wandered far

from daybreak to the edge of night

my guiding light an Elven-star

through darkness it shone bright

in an age gone by I walked the path

of shining sky and starry seas

with wonder saw the fire’s wrath

in setting sun beneath the trees

I journeyed far through stream and hill

and danced with golden flowered light

that yet I think there lingers still

though the World since fell to night

but now my Elven guiding-star

has left I know not where

I have wandered here and far

from break of day to evening there

now starlit sky meets midnight sea

and here my journey’s end does lie

under shade of hill and tree

where the shining sea joins the sky.

Farewell, guiding star! My road has ended here

in Faery-land, that starry place

that ever I held dear. 


____
Namarië, 
Astrya

Comments

  1. Wow...that was beautiful! Your poem evokes that heart-breaking but beautiful fairy-tale feel very well. I've read Smith of Wootton Major too, but it's been awhile...have you read Tolkien's Farmer Giles of Ham? It's a very different feel, but I quite liked it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!

      Yes, I have! It’s hilarious, no? I love the way Tolkien takes the role of a slightly condescending editor while telling the tale. I have both of the stories, along with a few others, in a compilation entitled Tales from the Perilous Realm. All of them are, of course, quite good :D

      Delete
    2. It's great :D I admit that those are the only two short stories of his that I've read...I haven't even tackled The Silmarillion yet. My Tolkien education is sadly lacking :P

      Delete
    3. Ah, well, the Silmarillion is a necessity, but not an IMMEDIATE necessity. You’ve got time!

      Although if you would like to further your Tolkien education, I recommend a book called ‘Why We Love Middle Earth’, by two Tolkien scholars/enthusiasts who also run a podcast (aptly titled ‘The Prancing Pony Podcast’). It’s a delightful and informative read (though I disagree with their assessment of the Hobbit movies) and I would recommend it :D

      Also, have you heard of the Father Christmas letters?

      Delete
    4. Heh, now I must ask...what is YOUR assessment of the Hobbit movies? :)

      They sound vaguely familiar...I'm not sure if I've heard of them or am thinking of something else. Are they pretty much what they sound like? ;P

      Delete
    5. So, I know many people dislike them for a various number of reasons, but honestly I enjoyed them Very Much. Sure, they took a few creative liberties, but I think they kept the spirit of the thing, and that’s what matters.

      Indeed they are! Just a collection of letters Tolkien wrote over a number of years “from Father Christmas” to his children, accompanied by a various number of delightful drawings. :P

      Delete
    6. Heh, I must admit that I don't care for them...truth be told, though, I'm not the biggest fan of the LOTR movies either. I just don't care for Peter Jackson as a director :P

      Delete
    7. I’m sorry to hear that… although I won’t discount your opinion. What about them don’t you like? :)

      Delete
    8. I should do a post about it sometime, so I can really express myself fully and thoughtfully...but in short, one of my main issues is that I personally feel like they could use more subtlety, and I also don't care for all the characterizations. That's not to say I don't like anything about them, though! I think Martin Freeman was a great choice for Bilbo, and the LOTR movies had some pretty gorgeous sets (not to mention that I love the Concerning Hobbits theme :P)

      Delete
    9. I would love to see a post on it!

      That makes sense. I definitely get that. (Yes, the music is for sure one of the best parts!)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I’d love it if you made a comment! Constructive criticism, or just a simple “I liked it” would be fabulous. Thank you!