Bookishness And Other Issues

    It is a truth universally acknowledged that writing is hard.

    If Jane Austen hadn’t written that quote about romance, she would certainly have written it about the difficulties of writing itself. Of course, nothing worthwhile is easy, but it’s really quite frustrating how often I find myself struggling to be satisfied with something I’ve written, or even to get past Chapter Three (trust me, it’s a real problem.) So I decided it would be a decent idea to discuss How To Get Unstuck. (Not that I’m an expert in any way whatsoever.)

    Sidenote: I’m currently in the middle of concocting a series on Discovering the Truth in Popular Media (take a look at my Reviews page for more spoilers!) but because of my Rather Busy Schedule the first post has not yet been completed. So in between reading Summa Theologica and practicing violin studiously I read Lizzie’s lovely post on first drafts, and decided the idea of sharing short snippets of writing is an excellent one. (Thanks, Lizzie!) 

    Now, onto the Unsticking Methods. 

    I find that the easiest way to get inspired is to read something else. It doesn’t matter what it is, just read something else to get out of your world and into someone else’s. It’s okay to be inspired by someone else’s work. Don’t plagiarise, of course, but the greatest writers (and composers!) learned from copying what those before them did. Shakespeare ripped off Romeo and Juliet from the lesser-known Pyramus and Thisbe in Ovid’s Metamorphoses (which also features in A Midsummer Night’s Dream). Tolkien was inspired heavily by Welsh and Celtic mythology, including Beowulf and the Elder Edda. That’s the beauty of the Cauldron of Story, as Tolkien named it. All fairy-stories and tales have their origins someplace, and often they share many elements. 

    For example. (Examples are lovely things, aren’t they? Just like metaphors, only more reliable.) Remember that first chapter I shared a while back, ambiguously titled Seller of Dreams (ambiguously because the prologue has nothing whatsoever to do with dreams or selling.) Well, I was a bit stuck on What To Do Next, until I watched the Hunger Games for the first time (another post to come on that soon.) Obviously I can’t copy that—it wouldn’t be mine, and anyway, everyone would know. But the strong character development inspired me. I realised I could do whatever I wanted—and so I did. (My characters will not be pleased once they see what’s in store for them.)

    Another useful thing is sharing your ideas/current drafts with other people. That’s also quite helpful, because sometimes we get wrapped up in our own heads and see the tree instead of the forest, so to speak. And this is where I jump off my little podium, because I’m taking Lizzie’s idea of sharing mini-snippets from my stories. Enjoy, and let me know what you think!

    Everyone knows the black market exists, but no one cares enough to report it. After all it’s where most of us get our basic necessities, like food or clothes. 

Rule 225 in the Book of Common Welfare: the people shall receive only what they need, in exchange for goods provided to the Council. All distribution shall be just and fair.

Yeah, right. They make us memorise a stupid list of rules and then proceed to disregard them anyway. Perfect way to lose control of an already fragile system.

I allow myself a small smile before opening the hatch and slipping down the dark candle-lit stairs. If They so much as catch me thinking those kinds of thoughts, my whole family will be executed. And I’ll be left to watch them die.

Seller of Dreams, Chapter 1


    She emerges with a spongy foodish thing on a platter. Candles are set around the rim, and I vaguely wonder how they’re not falling off. I stare blankly at it, fighting a rather strong urge to poke it. 

Mairin notes my disillusionment and laughs. “It’s a cake, Eithryn. A pastry for special occasions.”

“And how many Aurean did it take to get it?” I ask dubiously. She laughs again. 

“Better not to ask those kinds of questions.”

I nod, still doubtful, but take the glorified sponge (don’t you dare look at me like that, I’m just being honest) in recitant hands. 

Seller of Dreams, Chapter 1

    Rule 1 in the Book of Common Welfare (as written and approved by the Council for the unquestioning obedience of all persons under their rule): Never, under any circumstance, is any citizen of Arinae to question the will of the Council. 
Seller of Dreams, Chapter 2

   If I could do everything over again, I would never have made the choices that led me here. But then again, I’m not sure I was ever offered that particular chance. 
    All very well to think about it, but thoughts are not enough. Not when you’re hanging off a jagged cliff, trying not to fall to your death and attempting to avoid being shot.
    Lovely way to spend the morning, isn’t it?

The Red Sun Rises, Chapter 1

    The Complete History of England And Her Monarchs (volume twelve, third edition) misses a collision with my brother’s eye by mere millimetres. He sidesteps the flying volume neatly as it slams on the ground behind him, then turns (unimpressed) to meet my steady gaze. I have been told (on good authority) that I have a somewhat daunting glare, but Edmund just raises an eyebrow at my fury. “Are you done yet?”

Ere Darkness Fall, Chapter 1

    Well, there it is. I hope you enjoyed all of this… let me know!

    What are your thoughts on writers’ block? Do you have any troublesome main characters that just won’t cooperate? 

——

Namarië
Astrya

Comments

  1. (Ooh, you're reading the Summa Theologica? I've been reading bits and pieces of it over the past schoolyear for research purposes...and have discovered that Thomas Aquinas is a lot smarter than I am. Heh.)

    I think that's great advice! I believe there's a T.S. Eliot quote to the effect that "all great artists steal" (hah, I shouldn't have credited that quote then, should I ;)), not meaning, of course, that plagiarism is good (at least I assume that's not what he means), but that all great artists build on the work that others before have done.

    Oh, all your snippets are fascinating! I think I especially like The Red Sun Rises one...I love the the first paragraph; I think you struck the exact right wording for it.

    (I also must congratulate you on finding such cool names for your stories...as I have mentioned, I am very very bad at that.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Yep! To be fair it’s also for school, though. And yes, Thomas Aquainas definitely understood a lot of things that my poor brain struggles with. Although, it’s fascinating for sure. I’m trying!)

      Thank you! That’s a very true quote—Tolkien said much the same with his Cauldron of Story.

      I’m glad you liked them. All of those are works in various states of progress, so it’s a good thing you find them satisfactory!

      (Thank you again. It’s definitely not easy, and sometimes the names don’t fit the story. But sometimes they just seem to click and it’s immensely satisfying :D)

      Delete
  2. Ooh, I love your titles!!

    Heh, heh. I remember picturing a male as the narrator when I read the Seller of Dreams prologue. But it's a female? Oopsie.

    I like Edmund the Dauntless :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why thank you!

      Oh, oops. Yeah, I guess it’s not super clear until chapter one. (what gave it away?) but Eithryn is a girl.

      Edmund is pretty funny, now that I think about it ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

I’d love it if you made a comment! Constructive criticism, or just a simple “I liked it” would be fabulous. Thank you!